• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Research Department

LD Count
      Over 9,000

Post Research Department

This forum is for the writers to request stats, data, graphs, documented experiments (pertaining to the book), conduct experiments and anything in between to go along with their writings.
      Research Department's Directory of Information: This thread directs our Writing Department to highlighted and suggested information that is extracted by our Research Department from sources collected in Kromoh's thread and in The Research Department's own thread. Our writers can use this thread to easily access the information they need for their assignments. DO NOT post general sources here; limit posts to either quoted or selected material from these sources, links to posts with the information, source descriptions, and discussions concerning the placement of material.

Department Leader: Department leader's are supervisors of a certain department. They make sure work is being done and they have the authority to tweak, organize, call meetings etc. Staff may consult their department leader and department leader's may consult the Project Leader. Department leader's can hire additional staff members for their department at their discretion. Department leader's, if a staff member is not staying on task or doing what you are asking him/her for the benefit of the department (and ultimately the project) you can recommend them for termination to the Project Leader. Once again, I encourage Department leader's to hire more staff for their departments.

The author of this post wrote this cognizant of the fact that staff members work in more than one department.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research Department Staff

Department Leader(s): mrdeano

Naiya, Jeff777, mrdeano, spockman, adrift, Jabrol2001, Beeyahoi, Banana, Andywarski
      Last edited by Jeff777; 10-11-2009 at 04:21 AM.
      Kraftwerk likes this.
      Things are not as they seem

Don't even know where I am.
      I want all of you reading this to participate in my DHA research topic! Please!

It's actually helpful!

EDIT: Although, maybe the length of testing is a little short...
      The question is What is the question?
      Thanks, Jeff777, for adopting me.

[Flavour of Night] 10:06 pm: Banana, DV is not a dating site.

Motion Personified Alpha Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Woah.
      I have responsibilities now.

I am going to get to work straight away. Firstly, I am going to look through the dream journals on this site. To see if I find ones that can illustrate points in the book.
      (PM the owners for permission of course)

Colorado
      Alright, cool. Any abstract techniques you want researched or written about right now?

I was thinking about trying some new VILD techniques...
      Paul is Dead

ex-member
      Perhaps would could make mention of techniques in progress?

Walms has a generally original technique. The Transition ILD. I think he posted it around here somewhere... anyway, it's like a WILD, but skips a step or something. I know he has it on MM. That could use some research. Walms actually needs a few more people to try it out.
      Bollocks.

Colorado
      I'd be happy to experiment with that.

EDIT: Where is it?
      Last edited by spockman; 07-03-2009 at 12:09 AM.
      Paul is Dead

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by spockman View Post
      I'd be happy to expiriment with that.
      Yeah that would be great.
      Post all the results in the research topic.

Colorado
      I will definitely be one of the people who doesn't feel the shift yet has decent dream recall/does well with MILDs.
      Paul is Dead

ex-member
      Be sure to let walms know if you're doing his method. He wants to keep track of it all.
      Bollocks.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Hello researchers!

I've assigned the first couple of chapters as follows:

Chapter 2 -- Adrift

Chapter 3 -- Calum132

Chapter 2 should be fairly easy as far as research. The writer tells me he has a lot of knowledge about Jung. While lucid dreaming was not coined by Freud, he does mention them if I remember right. Please help this writer by finding out as much as you can on the history of lucid dreaming. This may not need to be limited to modern psychology, since people have been lucid dreaming long before the last century! There may be references in religious or spiritual texts on dreaming you can look up. I would like to present it in a way that doesn't give LDing a "woo" factor but just states that people have been doing in it many different kinds of contexts in all the cultures and ages.

Chapter 3: I'm hoping to include a lot about current knowledge on the physiology and psychology of sleep. I think this chapter can be stretched quite a bit. Spockman has already posted the beginnings of a piece on the current theories of dreaming that is looking good so far. Please also help him by corroborating his information.

We should try to find the best sources possible. It goes without saying that some guy's geocities page won't count as a good source. I'm not too worried about that since I know Kromoh will be leading this Dept.

Lastly, I will need your help when we are revising chapters. We will go over them together and look for factual errors, opinion-based statements, ect.

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Quote Originally Posted by Naiya View Post
      Hello researchers!

I've assigned the first couple of chapters as follows:

Chapter 2 -- Adrift

Chapter 3 -- Calum132

Chapter 2 should be fairly easy as far as research. The writer tells me he has a lot of knowledge about Jung. While lucid dreaming was not coined by Freud, he does mention them if I remember right. Please help this writer by finding out as much as you can on the history of lucid dreaming. This may not need to be limited to modern psychology, since people have been lucid dreaming long before the last century! There may be references in religious or spiritual texts on dreaming you can look up. I would like to present it in a way that doesn't give LDing a "woo" factor but just states that people have been doing in it many different kinds of contexts in all the cultures and ages.

Chapter 3: I'm hoping to include a lot about current knowledge on the physiology and psychology of sleep. I think this chapter can be stretched quite a bit. Spockman has already posted the beginnings of a piece on the current theories of dreaming that is looking good so far. Please also help him by corroborating his information.

We should try to find the best sources possible. It goes without saying that some guy's geocities page won't count as a good source. I'm not too worried about that since I know Kromoh will be leading this Dept.

Lastly, I will need your help when we are revising chapters. We will go over them together and look for factual errors, opinion-based statements, ect.
      mrdeano and Kromoh, please PM every member in your research department the above post from Naiya so that they know it's time to report for duty.

It goes without saying that some guy's geocities page won't count as a good source.
      This made me laugh out loud.

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Chapter 2

When I wake tomorrow, I will research into each of these.
      But in the mean time here is a nice list that sums up some of the history of lucid dreaming.

http://www.luciddreamlessons.com/200...ucid-dreaming/

Here is a condensed list of lucid dreaming over the centuries:

* 1000 BC - Upanishads - the Hindu oral tradition of spiritual lessons, philosophy, and proverbs include lucid dreaming.

* 1000 BC - Bonpo - the oldest spiritual tradition of Tibet, claims that lucid dreaming has been used during meditations for over 12000 years.

* 1000 BC - Vigyan Bhairav Tantra - another ancient Hindu region that describes how to become conscious during a dream.

* 350 BC - Aristotle wrote, “when one is asleep, there is something in consciousness which tells us that what presents itself is but a dream.”

* 3rd Century - Saint Denys a Christian martyr and saint claims to have been was a prolific conscious dreamer.

* 415 A.D - St. Augustine a Christian philosopher and priest referred to lucid dreams in a letter.

* 4th Century - Mohammed’s Laylat al-Miraj is an account of a nighttime vision that provided him with spiritual initiation.

* 8th Century - Tibetan Buddhists - The Tibetan Book of the Dead described of a form of yoga designed to become conscious while dreaming.

* 12th century - Sufi Ib El-Arabi from Spain suggested that controlling thought in dreams is an essential skill for aspiring mystics.

* 15th Century - Sir Thomas Browne a philosopher and physician stated his ability to lucid dream.

* 15th Century - Rene Descartes French philosopher, mathematician, scientist, and writer wrote avidly about his lucid dreams in a private journal known as the Olympica.

* 17th Century - Pierre Gassendi and Thomas Reid two philosophers who discussed becoming awake while dreaming.

* 1867 - Marquis d’Hervey de Saint-Denys published his book Dreams and How to Guide Them.

* 1913 - Frederick Van Eeden wrote A Study of Dreams on lucid dreaming to the Society for Psychical Research. He coined the term “lucid dreaming.”

* 1935 - Walter Y. Evans-Wentz translates a section of the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

* 1977 - Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D continues to do a tremendous amount of research on the topic of lucid dreaming today.

I admit that my research was short, but my intention was to provide you with a general idea of how much lucid dreaming occurred throughout the ages. I am quite positive that my list only includes a small amount of those that practiced lucid dreaming. Volumes could be written on this subject. I’m most certainly open to any feedback on my concise research of lucid dreaming.

Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Some rocky planet with water
      Yah Deano, thanks for taking care of that. Pretty much. Also, don't forget to skim through as many sources as possible - you have to open a lot of shells to find the hidden pearls.

-

The science and physiology of sleep chapter is something I really would like to make as scientifically accurate as possible.

Finally, let's be selective about our sources. Just because someone said something doesn't mean it's true.

-

RIP Michael Jackson. Just listened to a whole album today.
      Last edited by Kromoh; 07-11-2009 at 04:00 AM.
      ~Kromoh

Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Kromoh, I'll be doing Chapter 3, and I'm starting it now. I could definitely use your help with the research and making everything accurate. I have a rough outline so far here:

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...06#post1129306

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      - Tibetan Monks and lucid dreaming -
      Here is some sources talking about Tibetan monks and enlightenment. (Click to see the source)

One can even follow in the footsteps of Tibetan monks who master lucid dreaming as a spiritual illumination stepping stone on the path to enlightenment.

Dream Reader by Anthony Shafton -

Another, more specific technique is dream recollection. Tibetan Buddhists believe that during dreams the self travels to places it has been and repeats past experiences. For this reason, it is an important practice to meditate upon recent experiences and dreams. During this time the body must remain perfectly still since any movement will disrupt the astral body, causing the mind to lose the memories. When training the mind and body to undergo lucid dreaming, it is important to not give up or lose patience. The mind must be free of all dissuading thoughts and able to let go of negativity.
      Lucid dreaming has occurred for over 1,000 years and is known by Tibetan Buddhists as dream yoga. They use it to achieve a heightened sense of being and to awaken the consciousness in the dream state. During this awareness, their ultimate goal is to harness the power within lucid dreaming in order to move onto the next level on their path by completing several steps.
      Once the power of lucid dreaming is harnessed Tibetan Buddhists aspire to practice sadhana, obtain empowerments and initiations, travel to different places, correspond with an enlightened being, meet with others, be able to fly and shape shift into different forms.
      It is believed that by apprehending the dream and becoming consciously aware, the body is removed of any physical stimuli and the mind is removed of conceptual stimuli usually provided by the dream. In this state, one can reach the purest form of conscious awareness.
      http://www.buddhagroove.net/2009/04/lucid-dreaming.html

Our dreams also provide an opportunity for mindfulness of death. In Tibetan Buddhist death literature it is said that at the moment offalling asleep one experiences a moment of clear light like the one thatarises at the time of death. Moreover, the dream state is like the bardo, since in dreams one often conceives of oneself in a body and undergoes vivid experiences that are creations of mind, just as beings in thebardo do. Waking from a dream is similar to rebirth, since the illusorydream body passes away and we awaken to a new "reality." Becauseof these similarities, dream yoga is said to be an important method forgaining control over the production of mental images, a skill that isextremely useful in the bardo.4

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...and/dying.html

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Hawaii
      reporting. i will start my research with a survey of our dreaming mind by robert van de castle . sorry i've been off beat a little lately .. was dealing with some personal issues. where should i post my notes?
      Last edited by adrift; 07-18-2009 at 03:00 AM.

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Quote Originally Posted by adrift View Post
      reporting. i will start my research with a survey of our dreaming mind by robert van de castle . sorry i've been off beat a little lately .. was dealing with some personal issues. where should i post my notes?
      In here is fine . Or if you prefer creating a thread , you're more than welcome to keep your stuff there as well. If you are going to do that, be sure and link your stuff in here.

Member Achievements:
      Hawaii
      Our Dreaming Mind - Robert van De Castle
      History of Lucid Dreaming
      from Pgs. 440 - 443

Spoiler for book:

leads for further research:

- Lucid Dreaming - Stephen LaBerge
      - Saint Augustine's Letter/Gennadius
      - Tibetan Buddhism (Mr.Deano already has some notes on this)
      - Lucid Dreaming in Islam
      - Federick Van Eden, 1913 publication
      - Carlos Castanada, PAtricia Garfield - other works that brought Lucid Dreaming in contemporary light

sorry about using photos, i don't have a scanner.
      Last edited by adrift; 07-18-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Member Achievements:
      Hawaii
      Source:
      Letter 159 (A.D. 415)
      New Advent
      http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1102159.htm

note: this is Saint Augustine's Letter which discussed Gennadius's Lucid Dream

To Evodius, My Lord Most Blessed, My Venerable and Beloved Brother...

...3. I will narrate briefly, however, one fact which I commend to your meditation. You know our brother Gennadius, a physician, known to almost every one, and very dear to us, who now lives at Carthage, and was in other years eminent as a medical practitioner at Rome. You know him as a man of religious character and of very great benevolence, actively compassionate and promptly liberal in his care of the poor. Nevertheless, even he, when still a young man, and most zealous in these charitable acts, had sometimes, as he himself told me, doubts as to whether there was any life after death. Forasmuch, therefore, as God would in no wise forsake a man so merciful in his disposition and conduct, there appeared to him in sleep a youth of remarkable appearance and commanding presence, who said to him: "Follow me." Following him, he came to a city where he began to hear on the right hand sounds of a melody so exquisitely sweet as to surpass anything he had ever heard. When he inquired what it was, his guide said: "It is the hymn of the blessed and the holy." What he reported himself to have seen on the left hand escapes my remembrance. He awoke; the dream vanished, and he thought of it as only a dream.

4. On a second night, however, the same youth appeared to Gennadius, and asked whether he recognised him, to which he replied that he knew him well, without the slightest uncertainty. Thereupon he asked Gennadius where he had become acquainted with him. There also his memory failed him not as to the proper reply: he narrated the whole vision, and the hymns of the saints which, under his guidance, he had been taken to hear, with all the readiness natural to recollection of some very recent experience. On this the youth inquired whether it was in sleep or when awake that he had seen what he hadjust narrated. Gennadius answered: "In sleep." The youth then said: "You remember it well; it is true that you saw these things in sleep, but I would have you know that even now you are seeing in sleep." Hearing this, Gennadius was persuaded of its truth, and in his reply declared that he believed it. Then his teacher went on to say: "Where is your body now?" He answered: "In my bed." "Do you know," said the youth, "that the eyes in this body of yours are now bound and closed, and at rest, and that with these eyes you are seeing nothing?" He answered: "I know it." "What, then," said the youth, "are the eyes with which you see me?" He, unable to discover what to answer to this, was silent. While he hesitated, the youth unfolded to him what he was endeavoring to teach him by these questions, and immediately said: "As while you are asleep and lying on your bed these eyes of your body are now unemployed and doing nothing, and yet you have eyes with which you behold me, and enjoy this vision, so, after your death, while your bodily eyes shall be wholly inactive, there shall be in you a life by which you shall still live, and a faculty of perception by which you shall still perceive. Beware, therefore, after this ofharbouring doubts as to whether the life of man shall continue after death. " This believer says that by this means all doubts as to this matter were removed from him. By whom was he taught this but by the merciful, providential care of God?

Don't even know where I am.
      http://www.lunarsight.com/freq.htm brainwave frequencies and the like
      Spoiler for frequencies BEWARE [MASSIVE]:

and some shameless self-advertising: ok, so the people (all three of us ) involved in the experiment in my sig will start providing the data soon. I'll probably nag them through a pm, although the results might not be so conclusive due to our massive turnout

join us please! sunday is the last day you can start and finish within the deadline!
      Last edited by marcc; 07-18-2009 at 10:43 AM.
      The question is What is the question?
      Thanks, Jeff777, for adopting me.

[Flavour of Night] 10:06 pm: Banana, DV is not a dating site.

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Stages of sleep

Spoiler for long post:

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Lucid aids - Supplements

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=56235

Vitamin B5
      Spoiler for -VB5:

Vitamin B6

Spoiler for vb5:

Vitamin B12
      Spoiler for VB12:

Choline

Spoiler for Choline:

Melatonin

Spoiler for Melatonin:

Niacin (B3)

Tryptophan

1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      A huge smack in Mrdeano's cheek for the hard work.
      ~Kromoh

Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

Member Achievements:
      Hawaii
      great work mrdeano!

i will update the DoI as soon as i can, but i'm having issues with continuously re-editing that thread.

Adrift has talked to me and I have taken charge of updating the DoI. Once again, PLENTY of thanks for everyone who has contributed.
      ~Kromoh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast