• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
      In Your Head :O

8 Hour Lucidity - Need Researchers

This is a personal goal that i have been pursueing for a little while.

Being lucid in other stages of sleep, not just REM (Main dream stage).

The ultimate goal is to be aware of myself, the whole way through the sleep process, from my head hitting the pillow to getting up in the morning. This means being aware (lucid) during light sleep, deep sleep, slow wave sleep (which is probably the hardest bit), aswell as the normal REM stage.

A tough task perhaps, but i've already had some brilliant experiences in attempting it.

First:

Is it possible?

Yes i fully believe it is possible to stay aware during all stages of sleep. My evidence comes from two main sources;

1. Tibetan monks have long been known to be able to do this, through simple meditation.

2. Sleep deprivation studies show that if someone stays awake for too long (about 5-7 days) their brain will actually go through the sleeping process, while they are awake and fully functionable. Here is part 2 of a documentry of what im talking about.
      This man actually entered light, slow wave, and even REM sleep while he was awake. Pay close attention to 2:10 of that video.

Second:

Why bother?

What good would come out of remaining concious throughout all of the night?

Well i think it would greatly improve your strength of mind, your patience, sense of self - etc. And every dream would be a WILD.

This will probably take years to master. However i beleive i have already become lucid during non-rem stages of sleep - so it is quite possible.

Im going to use this thread to record any advancements i make, and i encourage anyone interested to do the same.
      Free DreamJournal Program ~ Thanks Banhurt

Well last night when i jumped into bed, i tried to remain concious for 90minutes so i could enter REM conciously from sleep onset.

When i say 'remain concious' i wasnt focusing on anything. I wasnt 'using energy' and it did infact feel like i was resting. It was not like i was sitting there thinking 'aww hurry up, im getting tired'. I just sat and enjoyed the random thoughts, sounds, and images that popped up.

I went for what must have been a good hour. Then the next thing i know, im in sleep paralysis - and have an awesome WILD. Afterwards i wake up and find that i was only in bed for about an hour and a half, meaning that i had WILD'd on the first sleep cycle and almost managed to stay aware for a full cycle.

Well, i foolishly took some 'Nightol' stuff cause i have a cold.

These tablets make you drowsy tho, so i fell alseep almost instantly i dont remember a THING.

No tabs tonight tho, so here goes!

1/2 man, 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Niddiboy's Avatar
      Northern Ireland
      good luck m8, i hope it works for u.

I wonder whether or not if the 'western' world is geared towards mental aspects as such and dedication that the Tibetan monks show. Their ambitions are on a religious scale and so therefore their depth of devotion is a lot stronger as this is part of their culture. But I’m sure you will overcome that aspect pretty damn easily!

It’s pretty cool that you can lie conscious for well over an hour as I lose patience really easily lol. If u could maybe put together a step by step when you become more attuned with this im sure many on Dreamviews members would be really grateful including myself!

Keep up the good work m8
      Check out my new art post
      Spoiler for OPEN SPOILER FOR SOME OF MY ART STUFF!:

Quote Originally Posted by Niddiboy View Post
      good luck m8, i hope it works for u.

I wonder whether or not if the 'western' world is geared towards mental aspects as such and dedication that the Tibetan monks show. Their ambitions are on a religious scale and so therefore their depth of devotion is a lot stronger as this is part of their culture. But I’m sure you will overcome that aspect pretty damn easily!

It’s pretty cool that you can lie conscious for well over an hour as I lose patience really easily lol. If u could maybe put together a step by step when you become more attuned with this im sure many on Dreamviews members would be really grateful including myself!

Keep up the good work m8
      Thanks for the encouragement dude!

Update:

Thinking without monologue (or without using words to think about things; eg; "hmm..i wonder why i just randomly thought about a cat") seems to be a good way to remain aware but also allowing your subconcious to take over and start throwing out random thoughts as you fall asleep, allowing you to fall deeper into the sleep process.

Focusing on a thought, or putting it into words - seems to stop the random thoughts from coming. This makes sense. I think the trick is to remain 'aware' but not to focus on the thoughts. In a way, 'hide' from your brain - Be there, but dont make any noise.

The problem is that throughout the day our awareness arises usually through us analysing things, questioning them, and running them through our brain. However in this case, you have to learn to be aware - without over assesing the thought itself, but this can lead you to loosing conciousness. Hmm. Its a tricky one.

I dont think this is something that i can just 'realise' how to do. I really think its something that needs excersised.

So off i go!........

Wow ;o I woke up after every sleep cycle last night, and had 2 perfect WILD's.

I can remember a bunch of non-lucids aswell.

I suppose its progress, =P

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Saint Augustine, Florida
      DJ Entries
      I used to do this almost every day for almost an hour. I used to have a bus that took me to school, and I would sleep on the bus. ( it was, indeed, almost an hour and a half getting to school ). I would go to sleep and be perfectly aware of myself and everything around me. I could hear and think, but I was asleep ( or maybe I achieved a high form of meditation on accident ). Either way, it was very cool and I could wake myself out of it in less than a second. The only thing was, I always woke up very tired and cold ( yes cold, felt like somebody put ice in my veins ).

Quote Originally Posted by oniman7 View Post
      I used to do this almost every day for almost an hour. I used to have a bus that took me to school, and I would sleep on the bus. ( it was, indeed, almost an hour and a half getting to school ). I would go to sleep and be perfectly aware of myself and everything around me. I could hear and think, but I was asleep ( or maybe I achieved a high form of meditation on accident ). Either way, it was very cool and I could wake myself out of it in less than a second. The only thing was, I always woke up very tired and cold ( yes cold, felt like somebody put ice in my veins ).
      Oh Wow! Nice

Natural Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
      Waiting for the results, good luck
      15 DAYS: DEILD:[1] DILD:[16] WILD:[6]

APRIL 2012: DEILD:[5] DILD:[29] WILD:[12]
      MARCH 2012: DEILD:[6] DILD:[27] WILD:[4]

Quote Originally Posted by roland3tr View Post
      Waiting for the results, good luck
      Thanks dude ^^

Oh yea just wondering. Can you remember what your sort of thought pattern or attitude was as the time? What did you think about/did you think at all?

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Saint Augustine, Florida
      DJ Entries
      I did think, but it was more relaxed. I allowed random thoughts to come to me, but as you described it, I did think with sort of a "monologue". I think the busy, loud environment of the bus helped keep me kind of aware. I also seem to have a natural affinity for these things. My thought process was also sometimes based on what I was hearing around me or what I had going on at school that day.
      Last edited by oniman7; 11-25-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: missed punctuation

Canada>Alberta>Calgary
      Good luck in achieving this! It would be really cool if you do, this way you can get sleep AND not spend a third of your life being unconscoius.

I did think, but it was more relaxed. I allowed random thoughts to come to me, but as you described it, I did think with sort of a "monologue". I think the busy, loud environment of the bus helped keep me kind of aware. I also seem to have a natural affinity for these things. My thought process was also sometimes based on what I was hearing around me or what I had going on at school that day.
      Ah i see. What about your body? Did you think about it/not think about it/not care?

I think ive done this as a child once.

Lol this sucks. I did everything as a child. Got stuck in SP, had accidental WILD's, which ofcourse all lead to nightmares.
      Now i have to TRY to get these things -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Corpse View Post
      Good luck in achieving this! It would be really cool if you do, this way you can get sleep AND not spend a third of your life being unconscoius.
      Thankyou!

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      México
      DJ Entries
      Cool, this would improve so much the things you can do in lucids, good luck with it.
      Oh I has woke myself from lucids at 12/1 PM (1 hour or so after going to sleep) but dunno if that has anything to do with this <.<

Hey Dizko, I'll help you and be a subject.

Only problem is, how do I stay awake for 90 minutes without feeling bored?
      "do what you wish"

Quote Originally Posted by A dreamer168 View Post
      Hey Dizko, I'll help you and be a subject.

Only problem is, how do I stay awake for 90 minutes without feeling bored?
      Patience ;P

I dont feel bored because im just happy to be relaxing. Im not in school and while im lying in bed i have no responsibilites or duties.

Granted

But how do you stay awake?
      "do what you wish"

Quote Originally Posted by A dreamer168 View Post
      Granted

But how do you stay awake?
      Thats what im researching ^_^

Also it would help if other people were to try, come up with their own tactics and then share them.

Lover of Sleep Paralysis Ryuinfinity's Avatar
      Once my mom said it took me five minutes to wake me up, and yet I could remember the last three hours (of me sleeping) clearly, and I only heard her once! I think I'm going crazy.

I love DEILD! SP is pwnage!

DJ Entries
      From words to sounds, from sounds to feelings, from

Dizko, this
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ClouD View Post
      From words to sounds, from sounds to feelings, from

Dizko, this
      Thanks ClouD, i was hoping you'd come along with a little pearl of wisdom. ;p

If i understand you right, you mean to first be aware of my inner 'words', like my monologue, then to drop that and focus on whatever internal sounds i hear. Then after that to be aware only of feelings. I'm guessing you don't mean physical feelings. And afterwards, to just...'be'.

Am i reading you right cap'n? o.0

DJ Entries
      Now, here, awareness, this.

Whatsoever is, is this.

Remain aware through any perception through day, through night.

Take whatever technique, just remain.

edit" whaaattttever.
      Last edited by ClouD; 12-01-2008 at 07:13 PM.
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ClouD View Post
      Now, here, awareness, this.

Whatsoever is, is this.

Remain aware through any perception through day, through night.

Take whatever technique, just remain.

edit" whaaattttever.
      Kay.

DJ Entries
      Lol.
      ----
      There's much to say about the topic, but not a right way to say it.

Divided attention is non-lucidity. Live life as a play, and whatever you do, do with undivided attention.

Be aware of anything or everything or nothing, just be. Accept lucidity as your undivided nature.

8 hour lucidity is not difficult. 8 hour non-lucidity is anemic from this perspective. Awareness is free will; awareness is life.

Sorry to ramble on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast