• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

...a real surrealist... Surrealist's Avatar
      California, USA

Shared Lucid Dreaming Experience

So, as some background, I'd like to talk a little about the person who shared my lucid experience and how he came to be a lucid dreamer.

My brother never had a lucid dream before talking to me. He's had dreams where he learned how to fly and so forth, but he told me that he never really became aware that it was a dream... it was just a familiar dream where he would attempt to "test the bounds" of the experience.

A year or so back, I had stumbled into these forums and began learning about lucid dreaming. I tried a few methods, and finally had my first self-induced LD. I was really exited about this, and immediately went and told my brother all about it.

I told him that I had learned a way to have a lucid dream, and what a lucid dream was... and he was actually really exited about that. He thought the idea of an LD was pretty awesome. That night, just from me telling him about it, he had one(some people say that just explaining it to someone triggers them into having one... that's how it was for him).

He said that he had had an LD that night that lasted three whole days. He told me that he was in constant amazement that it had lasted so long... and that at the end someone had told him that the only way to get out of it was to lie down in the dream and fall asleep. All the people that had been hanging out with him were closing their eyes and winking off one by one into thin air. He mimicked them, and was instantly awake.

When he awoke, he ran over to me and explained it all. All the adventures... all the worlds that he created and flew to, and so on and so forth. He also told me that it actually felt like three whole days.

I asked him if he remembered three days worth of events and if it still felt like three days after waking up... and he said yes to both. I was amazed, but told him that a lot of people say that it is possible to slow dream-time down in relation to real-time.

He had a lot more lucids after that... it always made me jealous. He seemed like a natural who had just found out he was a natural. The first one he had after that three-night one was very short, and he explained the feeling of "losing it." I told him the spin-around trick, and the next night he told me that it worked.

We then had an experiment. We wore nicotine patches(which are known to give vivid dreams) and both started trying an LD-induction technique.

I then had a lucid where I drew a door(while consciously willing it to lead to his dream) and opened it. I walked in on him, sitting up in a bed, with a frustrated look on his face. Come to find out, he couldn't sleep with the patch on, and was sitting up in his bed frustrated and angry, while I was asleep.

That wasn't enough for me to establish shared dreaming, so I kept trying to induce lucids in hopes that we would both have one the same night.

That time came last night.

I performed the WILD technique, and instantly found myself in a lucid. My brother was standing right next to me, and we were in the backyard of our house. I asked him if he was lucid... to which he replied, "No." Really bland and characterless.

I was stunned by the way he responded, but thought... oh well, I'll try and convince him.

I asked him, "Do you know you are dreaming?"

"No."

"Here, maybe this will convince you..." I then proceeded to hover off the ground in front of him. This was the first time I had successfully flew... I guess because I wasn't trying to fly, but to just hover.

He instantly snapped out of his weird mood, and actually asked me how I did it. He told me that whenever he flew, he could only fly really fast, or if he tried to fly slow he would lose control.

I explained it all to him, and he began to hover. He was amazed that he was able to do it, and we then spent the majority of the dream(what felt like 15 minutes) flying around with that technique and exploring the city.

He really loved it, as that technique gave him the ability to make really cool maneuvers and to do so as slowly as he wanted. We had a lot of fun, and I was just having fun flying around with my brother. It was cool.

And then we spotted the ocean(which didn't fit in with where my house was, but go figure), and decided to fly to an island far off in the distance.

We landed on the shore, and something profound immediately struck me. It was crazy, actually.

The beach that we landed on was a beach that I had been to before, in another dream. It even still had what I had written in the sand. I remembered writing the message when I became lucid, and wondering if I came back to that same beach if it would still be there. Well, it was.

This is when my brother became lucid... after seeing some weird monster-looking thing come out of the trees a little ways from the shore.

He started telling me about how this place felt familiar... I then pointed him to the message. We then talked, and decided we should go check out the building that was in the midst of the trees.

We fly inside(that's really fun.. haha...) and it's like this huge abandoned building. Large like a mall on the inside, but without any people or stores or whatever.

It had a bunch of hallways and such, and we just started walking around. I began to feel like I was losing lucidity, so I used the technique where I picked a spot to walk to, and held that focus.

It worked, but then when I reached that point I didn't pick a new one... so I quickly lost it and woke up.

I then run over to my brother's room, and ask him if he had a lucid. He says "yes."

He then describes the entire dream just like I remembered it. He told me that he was in a dream where he wasn't lucid, that I tried to convince him he was in a dream by flying, and that we flew around the city for a while.

He even told me how I told him a new technique of how to fly, and that he liked it.

He told me that we eventually flew to an island, and that we landed on the beach.

He told me that he became lucid on the beach after seeing a weird monster.

He told me that the beach and island seemed really familiar.

He told me about the building, its immensity, its emptiness, and that we walked around for awhile.

He then told me that at one point, he turned around and I had disappeared.

Not only did he mention all that to me, but also all of the conversations that I outlined in this post matched up as well.

I then told him my dream, and it all matched up... even when I disappeared. That was because at that point that I disappeared, that's when I woke up. He actually told me that he kind of figured that I woke up, and wasn't looking for me that long before giving up and waking up.

So now... I think I have all the qualifications for a shared lucid dream. I know that a lot of people might think I made it up, but I really don't care. It was extremely awesome, and if you don't think it's possible, then it's your own loss.

I felt like I just had to share this with you guys... the feeling that I had when we both were awake and sharing our dream with each other was intense. My brother was blown away by it, and was even thanking me for the flying technique that I taught him.

Fun times in lucid-land with my bro. Ha ha...
      “No rules exist, and examples are simply life-savers answering the appeals of rules making vain attempts to exist.”

“Perhaps I am doomed to retrace my steps under the illusion that I am exploring, doomed to try and learn what I should simply recognize, learning a mere fraction of what I have forgotten.”

--André Breton, a real surrealist...

Skypedia
      Sounds like a really cool experience.. can't wait until I have a shared lucid ^^

California, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by ChaybaChayba View Post
      Sounds like a really cool experience.. can't wait until I have a shared lucid ^^
      Thanks a lot...

I wonder why you're the only one who responded so far. It's probably because no one honestly believes that shared lucids are possible... oh well.
      “No rules exist, and examples are simply life-savers answering the appeals of rules making vain attempts to exist.”

“Perhaps I am doomed to retrace my steps under the illusion that I am exploring, doomed to try and learn what I should simply recognize, learning a mere fraction of what I have forgotten.”

The Oneiro, USA
      DJ Entries
      This was really cool. I'm still wondering if such experiences are possible, but I'm surely hoping so. Congratulations on your shared lucid dream, and I hope that I can one day explore this for myself.
      While sleeping, watch.
      http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4351/sig1gt.jpg

Dream Enthusiast Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      United States
      Wow I wish that I had a shared lucid dream
      I would even be happy if any of my friends was interested in lucid dreaming

San Antonio, TX
      DJ Entries
      awwww..you and your brother are so close

awesome experience. hard to believe, sounds to good to be true

I dont know if my experience is a shared dream or not. I saw my friend in my dream and thought "awesome! were sharing a dream!" I run up to her and say "lets fly and have some fun!"

But she had trouble getting off the ground, and looked silly jumping and falling. Flying had always been so natural for me since childhood, so I didn't know what was wrong! So my adventure was shortly cut when she couldn't fly. I was frustrated I couldn't teach her how. She sorta gave up, and the dream spiraled down into boredom as we do paper work. (I lost lucidity)

I ask my friend the next day about her dream. She didn't remember having a dream. And the times were off. She didn't go to bed until extremely late, 6am-ish. And I went to bed early. So it was hard for me to know, if we even dreamed at the same time.

When I told her my dream though, and how she couldn't fly, she did tell me that was true. She always had trouble flying in dreams!! I never knew that! So I thought it was weird a characteristic of my friend that I did not know about carried through into my dream.

In the dream, her behavior was strange, like she wasn't conscious. So I had always passed it off that it wasn't a shared dream, and she was a just dream character. But if it was a shared dream, maybe this was simply because she wasn't lucid and lacked over all awareness.

I had another experience. Not a shared dream. But rather the plot line of my dream matched the plot line of something my friend wrote. And, its a CRAZY off the wall plot line, not like something you see in movies. I told her about my dream and she thought it was funny, because it sounded like her crazy off the wall story. She wrote it months before I had the dream. I never knew about the story when I had the dream I found out afterwards.

Victoria B.C. Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist View Post
      Thanks a lot...

I wonder why you're the only one who responded so far. It's probably because no one honestly believes that shared lucids are possible... oh well.

Beats me, i have no clue if they are real or not. This is something you must expierience for yourself with someone. If you can shared dream then i am confused how this whole thing works. I'm confused how a dream actually happens, how does this reality become another
      and how do you lose concsiousness to make this happen. The whole process seems mind boggling. It's like...i'm tired and i close my eyes, i wake up and i am some place else viewing different chunks of my lifes expierience. people, places, etc.

Honestly, if you can shared dream i bet you could care less if people don't beloeve what just happened. You expierienced it, so you believe it. Lifes pretty much a shared dream anyway, except it' not created by the memories, but stuff that's yet to happen.

California, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidFlanders View Post
      Honestly, if you can shared dream i bet you could care less if people don't beloeve what just happened. You expierienced it, so you believe it. Lifes pretty much a shared dream anyway, except it' not created by the memories, but stuff that's yet to happen.
      Yep... you're correct. I'm not looking for confirmation, as if what I said was true, then it was a shared lucid.

My shared dream, on the other hand, can't be explained by dreams just being rehashed memories. There had to have been some interaction between me and my brother to explain it.