• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By

Thread: #1 Misconception about WILD

Hybrid View

DJ Entries

#1 Misconception about WILD

WILD. Everyone says it's just laying still for a really long time, and focusing on something. The hard part is staying still. People make many threads on how stressful it is to stay still, or fret about swallowing, or hypnic jerks, or some other minor motion.

But why must we stay still?

I'm currently reading ETWOLD, and have come across only a single reason why he stayed still while practicing:

"I made extreme efforts not to move more than necessary to minimize interference with physiological recordings."

... That was in a laboratory setting. Never in the chapter does he mention remaining completely motionless to increase the chance of a WILD occurring. So why, then, do we strive towards motionlessness? Was something lost in translation? Does it stem from trying to mimic the sleep paralysis state? And, most importantly, does it even matter?

We move naturally when we fall asleep. Our bodies unconsciously find the most comfortable position (I most always end up waking in a different position than I first lay down in!). We also involuntarily twitch and swallow. Our eyes flitter open every now and then. So why, in a technique where we are supposed to fall asleep, would we inhibit these natural processes by concentrating on willed paralysis?

WILDing by "induced paralysis" isn't only unnatural, but it's mentally counterproductive. Those who are not prone to WILDs spend too much thought focusing on the sensations of their body than a more internal train of thought. I believe that this not only keeps the body awake, but puts awareness moreso on 'mentally' dispelling discomfort. Obviously, this can stress a WILDer out, especially if they have felt the same cramp building for thirty minutes!

I've read and reread my written dream journal entries where I've succeeded at WILD. The is only one instance that lasted for an entire REM period. And before entering the dream, I moved as much as I wanted.

So... Why?
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

PLEASE STAND BY Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Seems to me this is what people mean when to WILD is to "fall asleep."

The only thing I can think of is keeping your body still so its movements cease to exist in your mind, that way you lose track of your physical self...

But there are others who can answer this better than me... having never WILDed successfully myself...
      I am posting on topic elsewhere for the most part.

My DJ here at DVs, Realized Aspiration only contains old dreams. I'll be around for the occasional chat, and some unfinished/unstarted RPs.

And you, yeah you, with the ice cream hands. You, yeah you, are my friend. ~ Still my mentor, and an awesome guy.

The magical land of too much hw
      There's another topic on this forum that says when your body stays still for a prolonged period of time, your body probes your mind to see if it's asleep. That would be the itches, twitches, cramps, persistent feelings of discomfort, etc. If you ignore them and continue to stay still, your mind stays awake but your body is tricked into thinking it's asleep. Then the body falls asleep (SP, numbness, etc.) but your mind is awake, which is the perfect conditions for a WILD.

LD Tasks:
      [ ] Have a bloody LD
      [ ] Play lead guitar and/or vocals in a rock concert with TONS of people (yeah I've been playing a lot of Rock Band lately... lol)
      [ ] Beat the tar out of select people...

DJ Entries
      I'm more inclined to believe that the mind probes the body, not the other way around. I believe this is done consciously during a WILD. Otherwise, why do we fall asleep every night when our body still moves?

It's not necessary for the body to be completely still prior to WILD. Sleep paralysis ensures this. I doubt anti-dream signals will be produced from a swallow or from satisfying an itch. Flailing your arms, maybe, but not flicking a finger.
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

PLEASE STAND BY Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      I'm more inclined to believe that the mind probes the body, not the other way around. I believe this is done consciously during a WILD. Otherwise, why do we fall asleep every night when our body still moves?

It's not necessary for the body to be completely still prior to WILD. Sleep paralysis ensures this. I doubt anti-dream signals will be produced from a swallow or from satisfying an itch. Flailing your arms, maybe, but not flicking a finger.
      Maybe its because satisfying an itch is an intentional movement. You think "I'm itching, scratch it, but slowly... I'm trying to WILD" and thats way too much thought.

Notice we move in our sleep, but we don't do it consciously, or try to do it. Don't you agree?
      I am posting on topic elsewhere for the most part.

My DJ here at DVs, Realized Aspiration only contains old dreams. I'll be around for the occasional chat, and some unfinished/unstarted RPs.

And you, yeah you, with the ice cream hands. You, yeah you, are my friend. ~ Still my mentor, and an awesome guy.

The magical land of too much hw
      Well I'm just parroting what I've already read, but it sounded pretty convincing to me... I dunno there were quite a few people that said it was true... yeah I dunno.

Not sure if it's really necessary to be still during a WILD - but I bet it has more to do with your mind than your body. I definitely want to know if you manage to WILD without holding still, so let me know.

LD Tasks:
      [ ] Have a bloody LD
      [ ] Play lead guitar and/or vocals in a rock concert with TONS of people (yeah I've been playing a lot of Rock Band lately... lol)
      [ ] Beat the tar out of select people...

Um, I didn't do that. cloud9wannablucid's Avatar
      LD Count
      Virginia, United States
      You know, in using the advice from KingYoshi, I was able to enter my first WILD in less than 40 minutes. His advice is to change your postition every 10-15 min. until you start feeling the paralysis. It actually works! I only had to lay still for 10 min. or so and then move instead of laying still for two HOURS. So, I don't think it's absolutely imperative that you never move, but that you limit your movement.
      cloud9wannablucid= cloud_9_47417 + want to be lucid. Stay cool! I do believe!
      LD= 23 WILD=3
      Accomplishments: Change location at will.
      Adopted by Jeff777
      DO A REALITY CHECK!
      Sweet Dreams People! Metal Rocks. Headbang Mo Often.
      I'm in the 8%!! I LOVE METAL, I'LL HEADBANG WITH YOU!!

Ireland
      cloud, did you have pre-sleep before you tried that?
      DILDs- 14 (January 1810)
      WILD- 9 - (December16 2009 20)

Novice Lucid Dreamer
      US
      If somebody's trying to stay still to the point that it's physically painful, that's pretty counter-productive. Same with scratching an itch or swallowing.