• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Jesus of DV Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 25000 Hall Points 10000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Huge Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_0000FF'>Man of Shred</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      Lethbridge, alberta
      DJ Entries

Smile The Power of smiling

I was in a shitty mood like 5 minutes ago and this just cheered me right up. i found it on another forum and just thought i would share it. You may comment or turn this into a "do you need a smile thread"

I have an interesting story about this. My brother, was walking down the street and saw a boy of about 15 who had severe physical handicaps he was wheelchair bound and has some sort of palsy which caused his to shake a bit and have his limbs curl ungracefully. My brother noticed, that the boy looked quite sad.

The unfortunate truth, is that illness, disease and deformity make people in our society very uncomfortable. We are very youth and beauty oriented in America. I've seen it a thousand times people look anywhere but directly at someone with a disability. I imagine it is partly that we are told as children that it's impolite to stare, and it is. Yet, as we mature we then use that as an excuse to turn a blind eye. I believe that deep in our hearts we are all afraid of being helpless and the disabled remind us of our own fragile mortality. Disability is the one minority group that anyone can join.

Of course, any beautiful woman will tell you, staring is not the same as confident warm, friendly eye contact.

So, my brother who is a practicing buddhist, feeling deep empathy and compassion for this brave young boy, looked beneath the tortured exterior and saw only a beautiful soul, struggling against incredible adversity to make an independent life for himself. He made warm friendly, confident eye contact with the boy and SMILED. Acknowledgment without sympathy or pity. The boy burst into a wide magnificent grin. It was if no one had ever taken the time to truly see in him a real capable wondrous human being. He lit up from deep inside his eyes shone and he began to laugh with joy. The power of a simple smile to ease suffering and bring someone deep joy. It is a gift all of us have and can give freely. My brother taught me to share this gift with world and I am forever grateful.

Share your smile with everyone.
      be amazing
      The Best of my dream journal
      http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x15/LucidSeeker/RanmaSig.jpg
      MoSh: How about you stop trying to define everything, and just accept what you experience, and explore it.
      - From the DJ of Waking Nomad!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Cusp View Post
      I'm guessing those intergalactic storm cloud monster bugs come out of sacred energy vortex angel gate medicine wheels.

Banned
      Pretty sappy. I give it a 1/10. It's probably made up, anyway.

1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 25000 Hall Points 10000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Huge Dream Journal
      LD Count
      Lethbridge, alberta
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
      Pretty sappy. I give it a 1/10. It's probably made up, anyway.
      STFU! don't knock it till you try it.
      MoSh: How about you stop trying to define everything, and just accept what you experience, and explore it.
      I'm guessing those intergalactic storm cloud monster bugs come out of sacred energy vortex angel gate medicine wheels.

Banned
      I tried it. It hurts my face and lots of people have stupid smiles. The only thing worse than an idiot is a grinning idiot.

On a journey
      Ahahah, no, there's one thing worse: an idiot grinning at a handicapped child. >.<

This thread is made of "fail", as it goes, much like its author.

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      Oi, there were so many grammatical/punctuation errors in that passage. I hope that person wasn't a native English speaker. Sorry to have picked up on that, but it distracted me from the actual story.

Anyway, this brings up a difficult issue of how to act around extremely handicapped people.

Xox
      cloudless climes
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Merlock View Post

This thread is made of "fail", as it goes, much like its author.
      Geez Merlock O.o, do you have a serious issue with Ranma or something? Not to but in, but it's kind of rude to throw insults at him like that.

Anyway, yes smile. I've realized over the years how powerful a smile truly is. You can really cheer someone up by doing that.

I should try and smile more.

BC, Canada
      I tried using my powerful smile when working out. Couldn't even lift 5 pounds.

Starry starry night, paint your pallet blue and gray,
      Look out on a summers day,
      with eyes that know the darkness of my soul.

Consciousness Itself Universal Mind's Avatar
      Everywhere
      Bill Hicks's teacher: Bill, it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile.

Bill Hicks: It takes more muscles to say that than it does to not say anything.
      How do you know you are not dreaming right now?

Banned
      The Weak and the Wounded
      Smiling is overrated.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

Seattle, WA
      I, for one, thought it was a nice story (made up or not). And there's a HUGE difference between smiling at someone, and "an idiot grinning at a handicapped child."

Wisconsin
      Smiles are good, but I still have braces and whenever I smile one of the brackets usually tears a new one in my cheek.

I'm generally at least somewhat happy, but I usually don't show it, like most of my emotions.

Signature skilled by ClouD
      Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
      ...so you went to italy and you didnt even see the eiffel tower?

used to be Guerilla
      LD Count
      Arizona
      thats a nice story, i duno what everyones beef with ranma is, smiles make others smile, which in turn their smiles make others smile, if everyone smiled the world would smile back, but instead people just insult others, put people down, ignore happyness and indulge in ignorance, sadness, pessimism and stuff like that

SMILE AND DON'T RUIN OTHER PEOPLES SMILES/MOODS!
      I would rather die on my feet then to live on my knees.

Budapest
      I tried it. It hurts my face and lots of people have stupid smiles. The only thing worse than an idiot is a gurning idiot.
      I don't particularly like that story because it implies that all disabled people live unhappy, unsocial lives which are inferior to any able bodied person's; but are instantly cheered up by someone smiling at them.

I also call fake on this one.
      *............*............*

The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      I don't know about the story, but it is widely known that facial expressions are closely tied to emotional state. This works both ways - if you experience a strong emotion, your facial muscles will contort involuntarily to reflect it (this is obvious to most people) less recognized is the reverse - if you make a sad face, you will feel a bit sad, happy face makes you feel happier ("fake" smiles don't make you happy because they don't use the same muscles). Smiling releases chemicals which make you feel pleasant, and so if you smile at someone and they smile back, you have made them a bit happier. Nothing wrong with that

Revd Sir Stephen, Ph.D StephenT's Avatar
      Texas
      You guys are ass holes.

Smilings not so bad. I like it.

Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Block 4500-7000
      Smirks > smiles

The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      I'm more of a lopsided grinner, myself

LD Count
      Lethbridge, alberta
      DJ Entries
      Wow, i appalled at the amount of negativity this thread has gotten.
      so what is it is poorly written? want me to edit it for you? jeez. and really people should try smiling more. When i am going through a checkout at the store i feel way better if the person is smiling, and makes some irrellivant conversation. i am more likely to go back to that store.

same with waitresses. No way in hell i will tip a waitress, if she has I'm a hot bitch" look on her face.

It doesn't take much effort to smile at someone. Unless you like being pissed off and pissing off everyone you look at.

Oh an Merlock..... Rap battle thread... NAO!

DJ Entries
      Look past the upward curvature of the lips, and to the real message!

We are supposed to look past the exteriors of all. All who are snobbish, all who are in pain, all who are angry. We've all experienced these feelings before. It annoys me when we see someone stressed and flustered, and label them as 'bitchy,' without even considering what unlucky happenings the person has gone through before they crossed our path. So simple, all we must do onto others is support them. A smile, a gesture, a donation, all encourage their own piece of happiness to resurface, and overshadow their despair. The villain only requires understanding. The saddened only require a room of happiness.

I don't see why people act differently towards those with disabilities, or those who are different in general. It's just a part of me, I guess. I befriends all kinds, depending on their strength of mind and openness.
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

LD Count
      Lethbridge, alberta
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      Look past the upward curvature of the lips, and to the real message!

We are supposed to look past the exteriors of all. All who are snobbish, all who are in pain, all who are angry. We've all experienced these feelings before. It annoys me when we see someone stressed and flustered, and label them as 'bitchy,' without even considering what unlucky happenings the person has gone through before they crossed our path. So simple, all we must do onto others is support them. A smile, a gesture, a donation, all encourage their own piece of happiness to resurface, and overshadow their despair. The villain only requires understanding. The saddened only require a room of happiness.

I don't see why people act differently towards those with disabilities, or those who are different in general. It's just a part of me, I guess. I befriends all kinds, depending on their strength of mind and openness.
      ^^^ ahh! An enlightened person!

Nice post ranma! It makes you feel better to be smiled at, rather than frowned upon!

"Whoever is happy will make others happy, too." ~ Mark Twain

And what's the definition of a stupid smile?
      Last edited by really; 02-19-2008 at 04:09 AM.

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by Merlock View Post
      Ahahah, no, there's one thing worse: an idiot grinning at a handicapped child. >.<
      Heheheheh
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldney View Post
      I also call fake on this one.
      Hey, I didn't say "gurning".
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      I'm more of a lopsided grinner, myself
      I like to rely on the good old fashioned sneer to get me though my day.

Smile

Budapest
      Hey, I didn't say "gurning".
      No you didn't. I did italicise it to make it stand out but unfortunately that was lost in the quote. Oh and gurning is far classier.
      *............*............*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast