• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to Lucid Dream

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA

Post How to Lucid Dream

[EDIT - Seeker: This tutorial has been moved here: http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=55740

Continue to use this thread to discuss it if you wish. ]
      Last edited by BillyBob; 10-02-2007 at 06:46 PM.
      Mario92 likes this.

Neither Here nor There WalkingOnTheMoon's Avatar
      In Limbo... ~
      hey.
      thanks... twas helpful i thought. it cleared a couple of things up for me....
      good work
      cya
      WOTM
      LD's: 1 = 3rd Oct 2007

Started 'Training': 28th September 2007

Aim: LD within 2 months (ha that was easy), WILD within 4 (hope this comes as easily)

San Francisco
      Holy Shit! Its the guide to end all guides!!!

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by TalkingHead View Post
      Holy Shit! Its the guide to end all guides!!!
      Is that good or bad?

That's quite a detailed schedule, but certainly seems that there's method behind your madness.

I'll be following the schedule as closely as possible. I'll try and update my results.

Thanks again!
      Last edited by Quiver; 10-02-2007 at 07:49 PM.
      Maybe, just for a second, you'll be awestruck.
      ...do you feel it to?

San Francisco
      That's a great post.. maybe it will become a sticky on this board. I think the best part was how you described being pulled into a dream like a "wild bird". Anyhow, I'd be interested to hear what some of the comments that other "heavy hitters" like Clairity have to say. I think I remember her mentioning that she doesn't like to focus on her breathe.. I wonder if there are others that find it easier to attract that "wild bird" when they are not focusing on anything related to their body?

* DV Veteran * Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV 50000 Hall Points
      USA
      Quote Originally Posted by TalkingHead View Post
      Anyhow, I'd be interested to hear what some of the comments that other "heavy hitters" like Clairity have to say. I think I remember her mentioning that she doesn't like to focus on her breathe.. I wonder if there are others that find it easier to attract that "wild bird" when they are not focusing on anything related to their body?
      "Heavy hitter" LOL!!

I think BillyBob's tutorial is FANTASTIC as I think all tutorials are (each has something to offer members trying to LD)!

Also you remember incorrectly as I never stated that I didn't like to focus on my breath.. To quote my tutorial:

For me the hardest part of WILDING is keeping my mind occupied on things that won't keep me wide awake (worries, projects, etc.) but on things that are not so boring I fall asleep!

To help keep your mind on mundane things instead of things that will keep you awake.. try counting "1-I'm dreaming, 2-I'm dreaming, etc." or use what I call the alphabet method:

I'll think of the letter "a", then picture my picking an apple from a tree (or simply picture an apple), think of the letter "b", then picture a balloon floating on the wind (or simply picture a balloon), etc. until "z" and then start at "a" again picturing something different.

I also sometimes try to envision/daydream something tactile.. such as horseback riding.. i.e., feeling the reins in my hands, the wind on my face, my legs gripping the saddle, etc. Heck now that I type this, I think next time I'll envision myself playing jacks (throwing the jacks on the ground, tossing the ball in the air, scooping up a jack or jacks and then catching the ball).

I continue doing the above while slowly breathing until my mind starts to drift and I try to think/direct it back to only positive thoughts.

NOTE: I think it's ok if your mind wanders as long as every so often you bring it back to lucid dreaming. You also want to say to yourself, "I am dreaming.. this is all a dream" while becoming involved with the daydream.. this way hopefully you will realize you're dreaming if your mind falls asleep along with your body.

In front of my PC
      this is good I like it! thanks billybob this might help a lot.
      Back in black!

This tutorial/schedule/collection of ideas looks fantastic in writing but now its to see if it works! I will start with the schedule tonight, being Monday and all!

Explorer Achievements:
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
      This tutorial/schedule/collection of ideas looks fantastic in writing but now its to see if it works! I will start with the schedule tonight, being Monday and all!
      Well just remember its an all or none deal. Everything I wrote is a key part of inducing lucidity, don't just skip something because you view it as unimportant

I read every last punctuation mark!

Also, I think questions like TalkingHead's and the following discourse between you and Clarity (while usually constructive) almost detracts from your tutorial. The point of your tutorial was, like you said, to be all inclusive. Asking questions after the fact and expanding on it take away from the simplicity of it all. For example, you mentioned that EVERY method stems out of the four basic methods and that everyone should find out for themselves! Asking questions after just detract from that simplistic view and make it more complicated all over again!

The post was fantastic because it gave the basics and was JUST descriptive enough, just like when you talked about Everest. You pointed out that you described what you would DO but you didn't describe the feelings themselves, you let the feelings happen. Now let me point out that the same thing should be done with this tutorial in general! These basics are what should be DONE, let the methods and the individual varieties come to everyone on their own!

Now get out there and dream!

Explorer Achievements:
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
      I read every last punctuation mark!

Also, I think questions like TalkingHead's and the following discourse between you and Clarity (while usually constructive) almost detracts from your tutorial. The point of your tutorial was, like you said, to be all inclusive. Asking questions after the fact and expanding on it take away from the simplicity of it all. For example, you mentioned that EVERY method stems out of the four basic methods and that everyone should find out for themselves! Asking questions after just detract from that simplistic view and make it more complicated all over again!

The post was fantastic because it gave the basics and was JUST descriptive enough, just like when you talked about Everest. You pointed out that you described what you would DO but you didn't describe the feelings themselves, you let the feelings happen. Now let me point out that the same thing should be done with this tutorial in general! These basics are what should be DONE, let the methods and the individual varieties come to everyone on their own!

Now get out there and dream!
      You know what? Your absolutely right.

Clairity: Would you mind deleting the quotes of me you have in your posts? I think I will keep this topic free of my personal biases.

Thanks for pointing this important idea out to me citizen
      Last edited by BillyBob; 10-02-2007 at 05:33 AM.

No prob, no prob. Glad to help you because your post helped me!

A dark desert highway
      DJ Entries
      I don't post very often, let alone on tutorials, but I have to say this was pure awesome. I've always found your tutorials insightful Billybob, and this one doesn't disappoint. Feels kinda like starting LDing over again, or at least it's a refreshing take on it. Keep up the great work!

* DV Veteran * Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV 50000 Hall Points
      USA
      Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob_001 View Post
      Clairity: Would you mind deleting the quotes of me you have in your posts? I think I will keep this topic free of my personal biases.
      Done!

Update Day 1: Had an LD (my 7th ever) on day 1 with the WBTB! The LD was going exactly as planned til I tried to spin a new dream environment. I'm actually pretty confident I could do that again nearly effortlessly as I was bordering lucidity from 7am to 10-11ish. Loving this schedule.

Cheers to you BillyBob and my inevitable DILD tonight
      Last edited by Quiver; 10-02-2007 at 08:29 PM.
      Maybe, just for a second, you'll be awestruck.
      ...do you feel it to?

Scotland
      Your explanation of WILD is superb! I think I know where I'm going wrong now! Definately going to make a few changes tonight
      If you think you can't, you're right.

Wales
      I disagree with the random reality checks theory. I do random reality checks throughout the day and i have become lucid this way a number of times. Perhaps it depends on the individual.

carnifex Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

Reality checks

I have read more than once that RC's are to be done whenever something odd or out of place happens or is seen. I am at a loss as to what this means. In ordinary waking life there's very little of the odd or unexplicable. If I were to do RC's only at such occassions I would be lucky to do them once a day.

Can anyone explain this to me?

-Tl

***REALITY CHECK NOW*** I'm Only Sleeping's Avatar
      Germany
      DJ Entries
      Awesome! I hope it'll help

Thanks and all, also for additional explanations in the chat!

You're saying the opposite of what Clarity says, right? She says "imagine that you're already dreaming", you say "don't think about dreaming at all". I'm abit confused.

Explorer Achievements:
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by Thylacoleo View Post
      I have read more than once that RC's are to be done whenever something odd or out of place happens or is seen. I am at a loss as to what this means. In ordinary waking life there's very little of the odd or unexplicable. If I were to do RC's only at such occassions I would be lucky to do them once a day.

-Tl
      Then for you, once a day would be the amount needed.

As I said in the tutorial, though its fine to just reality check that one time during the day, its also ok to begin to look for more things to reality check about in your day to day life (become more aware of your environment and you will begin to see more "odd" things about it).

An example I like to use is the paper clip.
      Lets say I walk into my room and see a paper clip on my dresser. I don't remember putting that paper clip there, so I reality check just to make sure I'm not having a dream.

You can look at even the smallest odd happenings as cues of being in the dreamworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
      Update Day 1: Had an LD (my 7th ever) on day 1 with the WBTB! The LD was going exactly as planned til I tried to spin a new dream environment. I'm actually pretty confident I could do that again nearly effortlessly as I was bordering lucidity from 7am to 10-11ish. Loving this schedule.

Cheers to you BillyBob and my inevitable DILD tonight
      Excellent!
      Congratulations on your first LD of the week
      Last edited by BillyBob; 10-02-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Wales

-Tl
      Well it doesn't have to be extremely out of the ordinar. Like for example you see a vehicle outside your house that isn't normally there, one of your electrical appliances ain't working properly, (which happens alot in dreams) family member/friend acting odd, strange tv program, typing error, suprise sporting result, etc. If you start to question the slightest of oddities you will start questioning alot more in your dreams which will result in more lucid opportunities.

LD Count
      Portugal
      Well explained, objective, with all essencial things about ld...This tutorial is excellent! Will be a big help for everyone. Good job BillyBob_001!
      since June 08 DILD:53| WILD:55

Scotland

-Tl
      At work the other week, the lock broke off on the toilet door. I did a reality check at this point as it was unusual and not in my normal routine. I also do a reality check if I experience DejaVu. Occasionally people don't hold doors open for people, or blank you completely... not as unusual depending on the people (since it happens more than it should) but still a good cause for a reality check.
      If you think you can't, you're right.

I'll be the best dreamer! iwishicouldld's Avatar
      Very Good tutorial. Im hoping that Ill get my first LD tonight from it!! Wish me luck everyone~!
      Total LD's: 1! OMG YES!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast