• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Research Department

Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Some rocky planet with water
      Physiology of Sleep

mostly from http://www.camden.rutgers.edu/~bwhit...LEEP/index.htm, a few details from wikipedia (Dream, Sleep, REM Sleep)

Spoiler for Physiology of Sleep:

I might update this later if I find anything more.
      Last edited by Kromoh; 07-21-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added some more stuff
      ~Kromoh

Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

Banned
      Oregon...
      well i wrote up a thing on omega 3 and updated the repository(a lil bit) awhile ago

Spoiler for long:

cites:
      1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid
      2 http://www.enotalone.com/article/9364.html

i think thats it
      Last edited by Banana; 07-21-2009 at 05:45 AM.

1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      I'll be speedreading through ETWOLD, I'll post whatever I find of relevance.
      ~Kromoh

Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

Introductory ideas

ideas taken from reading ETWOLD's first two chapters - mostly for brainstorming
      personal notes in blue

Spoiler for long:
      ~Kromoh

Ehh..Well..Uhm...HUGS!
      Netherlands
      Quote Originally Posted by Kromoh View Post
      Introductory ideas

ideas taken from reading ETWOLD's first two chapters - mostly for brainstorming
      personal notes in blue

Spoiler for long:
      That's some great info right there. Is this all for the introduction? I'll get to it.
      http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/ablativus/spidermansig2.png

Those are all the ideas I got from reading ETWOLD. There may be something else out there, I dunno.
      ~Kromoh

Hey guys. I'll be on the coast until next sunday. I'm still speed-reading through ETWOLD and will probably post something as soon as I come back.

Don't forget to water the dog and feed the plants while I'm out.
      ~Kromoh

Don't even know where I am.
      The question is What is the question?
      Thanks, Jeff777, for adopting me.

[Flavour of Night] 10:06 pm: Banana, DV is not a dating site.

Hey Jeff, thanks for assuming the DoI while I'm out. I believe I will be able to check back sparingly, but do not entrust your lives on it.

Moose: I'm thinking of ordering that book you wrote about. Sounds interesting.
      ~Kromoh

Motion Personified Alpha Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Sources of Choline -

What are Good Sources of Choline?

Until 2004, when the USDA published a database of choline in foods, we only had scattered studies to go on. This more systematic study has revealed some surprises, notably that there is less choline in many foods than previously thought. Although most foods have at least a little choline, some people may have to pay more close attention to get enough in their diets, particularly if they do not eat many whole eggs. Here are some examples of foods that are particularly high in choline, taken from the USDA’s Database for Choline in Foods.
      • Beef liver - pan-fried - 100 grams (about 3.5 oz) - 418 mg
      • Whole large egg - 112 mg choline
      • Beef (ground) 80% lean/20% fat - 3.5 oz patty - 81 mg
      • Cauliflower - 3/4 C cooked (1" pieces) - 62 mg
      • Navy beans - 1/2 C cooked - 48 mg
      • Tofu - 100 grams (about 3.5 oz) - 28 mg
      • Almonds - sliced - 1/2 cup - 26 mg
      • Peanut butter - 2 T - 20 mg
      For me, one of the important messages of choline (and other recently-discovered nutrients) is that we are still learning so much about nutrition. This emphasizes the importance of eating a variety of whole foods, so we will be less likely to miss out on some yet-to-be-discovered nutrients.
      http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nut.../a/choline.htm

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[Fact Check Pending]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Quote Originally Posted by Naiya View Post
      Here is part one of Chapter 3. I included two more references which will be at the bottom. Researchers, please fact check.

I'll ask someone with time in Editing to take a look as this is still needs editing. Special thank you to Kromoh for allowing me to copy some of his work on the stages of sleep!

The Science of Sleep and Dreaming (Tentative Title)

Humanity has been dreaming since the beginning of our existence. Throughout history and all the ages, mystics, shamans, witch doctors, yogis and the like have attempted to understand sleep, dreams and their meanings.

Nathaniel Kleitman was a professor who established the world's first sleep laboratory in 1925 at the University of Chicago. He and a graduate student by the name of Eugene Aserinsky can be considered the fathers of the study of sleep.

After hours of watching subjects sleep, Kleitman and Aserinsky discovered REM sleep. With further study they were able to find that REM sleep coincided with the dream state, and so the physiology of sleep and dreams was finally given its first true foundations in science.

Ever since their discovery, science has been able to uncover more about the stages of sleep and the nature of each stage.

Measuring brain activity in a sleeping person, scientists discovered that sleep consists of repetitive cycles of brain activity, during which you go through every important part of sleep. These cycles have a duration of around 90 minutes, and change slightly depending on how long you have been sleeping for.

The very first stage (N1) is not necessarily sleep, but rather a beginning to sleep. It is a transition from wakefulness to sleep, often referred to as somnolence. Slowly, brain activity lowers, and the brain enters the sleep process. This is the stage during which hypnic jerks occur.

The following stage (N2) is responsible for around 50% of total sleep. Muscular activity lowers and consciousness of the external environment disappears.

Stage N3 works primarily as a transition period from stage 2 to the deepest stage 4. This is the stage in which night terrors, bedwetting, sleepwalking and sleep-talking occur.

Stage N4, together with stage N3, are considered to be what is called "deep sleep". Brain activity is the lowest, though it is lower on N4. They are considered to be essential for rest, and, together with REM (further below), will rebound in the next night if a person is deprived of them in one night of sleep. Also, trying to wake someone up during deep sleep can prove extremely difficult depending on the person.

The final stage to mention is REM, or Rapid Eye Movement sleep. It is so called because of the rapid movements of the eyes during this phase. Mental activity raises and the brain behaves similar to that of a person who is meditating. For Lucid Dreaming, this is perhaps the most important sleep phase, as it is theorised that the majority of dreams occur during REM sleep. Furthermore, some neurotransmitters in the brain, such as seratonin, are completely shut down, thus inducing what is called sleep atonia (popularly named Sleep Paralysis), during which motor functions do not work. The person is rendered physically motionless, and based on that comes a possible explanation of what dreams are.

This theory, given shape to by Dr. Stephen LaBerge, will be explained below.

Our brain keeps an updated, functional image of our body at all times. This allows us, for example, to know where our arms are placed without actually having to look at them; and to guarantee better muscular coordination for the body. Due to sleep atonia which happens in our sleep, interestingly, even though the body image is still there, if you try to move, say, an arm, it will not move at all. But for the brain, it will be like it had moved. The brain will update the body image, believing the arm has been moved, when actually it has never left its original position. The effect of this is that we can actually "move" our body image, without really moving our physical bodies. Thanks to the highly hallucinogenic state REM sleep gets us in, the brain is then able to actually make up what it would be seeing instead of what it is actually seeing (the back of our eyelids). This is how dreams work: you are able to move your body image without actually moving your real body, and your characteristic, imaginative mind fills in the details.

While we have begun to answer the question of how we sleep, unfortunately there are still no clear answers on why we sleep. It is known that REM sleep--or dreaming sleep--is necessary for our bodies and minds to function. Rest is not a substitute for sleep. Because of this, scientists suspect that there are things the mind needs from sleep such as brain development or memory. No theory as of yet has been stood up to the rigors of scientific review, so nothing has been proven, but researchers are still hopeful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.uchospitals.edu/news/1999...-kleitman.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/11/sc...-we-sleep.html

The next part will be on the physiology of lucid dreaming. Should have it posted by tomorrow at the latest. Thanks!
      Things are not as they seem

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I will send the above out to the team immediately.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by mrdeano View Post
      I will send the above out to the team immediately.
      We've already got the next draft up, so please do that instead:

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...52&postcount=9

Member Achievements:

Sorry guys, I do not recall checking in here. I have been pretty busy lately, but hopefully I can get around to contributing. Anything other than the fact check that needs researched/completed, or should I just go freelance?

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Exhalent View Post
      Sorry guys, I do not recall checking in here. I have been pretty busy lately, but hopefully I can get around to contributing. Anything other than the fact check that needs researched/completed, or should I just go freelance?
      Freelance until you receive requests from the writing department.
      At this moment, have a read through the 'Chapter 3 wip' thread and check for any factual errors.

Thanks

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Prospective Memory -
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospective_memory

The part of the brain, that is responsible for remembering to recognize dreamsigns is called the dorsolateral prefrontal cortext (DPC). This part of the brain that is located at the front of your head, is responsible for all kinds of short-term memory activities. The one we need to focus on is called "prospective memory", the intention to remember to do something in the future. It is this DPC part of the brain that is relatively inactive during normal REM-sleep, but suddenly becomes active when you are lucid in your dreams. Your success in recognizing dreaming is therefore highly related to your prospective memory skills. Knowing which recurrent dreamsigns you have, having a specific lucid dream plan ready, feeling motivated and excited, and your ability to visualize yourself becoming lucid are all related to stimulate the DPC as much as possible before going to bed. So as I mentioned earlier on, all six steps we've previously discussed in the Lucidipedia Matrix have led up to your success in prospective memory.
      http://www.lucidipedia.com/learning/...ecognizedreams

DL-PFC serves as the highest cortical area responsible for motor planning, organization, and regulation. It plays an important role in the integration of sensory and mnemonic information and the regulation of intellectual function and action. It is also involved in working memory. However, DL-PFC is not exclusively responsible for the executive functions. All complex mental activity require the additional cortical and subcortical circuits that DL-PFC is connected with.[2][3]

The stroke syndrome which results from damage to the DLPFC is called "dysexecutive syndrome". Functional studies demonstrate both executive function as well as Working Memory.[1]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsola...frontal_cortex

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I wonder if I could find a what food is good for your dreams and maybe a chef could make a simple meal using the ingredients. We could called it the 'Lucid Dreamer Meal' or something

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I have decided that I am going to try and avoid Wikipedia from now on. Since anyone is able to edit pages.
      Anyway here is what I have found

Spoiler for History Of Sleep Pararlysis:
      Last edited by mrdeano; 09-10-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Wiki is a good place to start, but I agree that it's better to rely on it as an actual source as little as possible.

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Great work deano . I'll index it now.

United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I really need to get my ass down to the library. XD

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Yes! Go find out more about the history or dreaming and lucid dreaming!! Kthx!

Okedoky im checking in. Whats up? How is everyone? Have a good summer?

Any reaserch you guys want to throw at me?

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Hey Jabrol Go here. and checkout the directory of information. We'll need research from magazines articles, websites (and books especially) on dream related information to support the author of Chapter IV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast